The Belfast Co-op’s Common Cents group for September is the Hills to Sea Trail Coalition! Every shopper may ’round-up’ their purchases at the Co-op to donate to our monthly recipient.
Also known as the Waldo County Trails Coalition, the Hills to Sea Trail’s mission is to create and maintain trails in Waldo County where we can slow down and experience our place in nature.
The Coalition creates and maintains trails in Waldo County. We built, maintain and make improvements to the 47-mile Hills to Sea footpath from Unity to Belfast. We have also built trails at 5 schools and sometimes maintain or make improvements to these.
- Third longest footpath in Maine after the “A.T.” and International “A.T.”
- Crosses the properties of more than 60 private landowners
- Traverses 8,000 acres of conserved lands
- Connects with 11 farms and MOFGA’s Common Ground Education Center
- Connects with Unity College, 2 schools and a daycare center
- Places for overnight accommodations being developed along and near the trail
- Innovative interpretive materials being developed for earth education
100% of all donations received through Common Cents go on to the groups.