The Belfast Co-op’s Common Cents group for November is Aging Well in Waldo County! Every shopper may ’round-up’ their purchases at the Co-op to donate to our monthly recipient.
The mission of Aging Well in Waldo County is to mobilize local communities to identify and address the needs of our aging friends and neighbors in order to build inclusive, supportive, and safe communities for all.
AWWC has grown to have a Board of Directors of up to 20, an active committee working on issues of social isolation, an active committee working on transportation, and an active outreach committee. Plans for a future committee working on housing are being addressed. Initiatives include:
- Waldo Reads Together – a county-wide read of Colson Whitehead’s Pulitzer Prize novel The Nickel Boys planned with 10 community partner organizations to have book discussion on topics related to diversity and equity – Feb-March 2021https://agingwellinwaldocounty.org/waldo-reads-together/
- Waldo Calling – Currently in development – a new program serving people living alone in Waldo County and who feel isolated with phone calls from community members
- Village-Wise – The free, online quarterly newsletter featuring articles on senior health, state services, AWWC updates, Scam cautionary notes from the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office, guest articles from other community organizations, and a seasonal recipe each issue! To subscribe, send a message to email@example.com.
- View older Village-Wise issues here.
- AWWC Directory of Senior Services – a one page, two-sided cardstock handy reference listing emergency numbers, libraries, food related resources, medical resources, social services, and more. These directories are available at the YMCA, medical offices, gyms, and town offices. View or Download a copy here.
- Online – Check out agingwellinwaldocounty.org – loaded with resources for seniors and their families.
For more information: call 207-930-5460 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
100% of all donations received through Common Cents go on to the groups.