The Belfast Community Co-op is looking ahead to an exciting year, full of new challenges and opportunities for us and new and improved services for you, our customers. After dealing for the last couple of years with the pandemic, we have rebuilt our capacity and are ready for a 2023 Store Renovation.
The Belfast Community Co-op is about to embark on a historic project – a full renovation of the building it has owned and occupied in downtown Belfast since 1993.
After six years of market and feasibility studies; extensive review by industry experts; exploring options from building new to relocating; and member-owner forums, focus groups, and open meetings, the Co-op Board decided the top priorities for the renovation are:
- Reopening the much-missed café and making it better than ever, with new services, new equipment, an updated menu, and an improved seating area, while keeping the natural light and materials everyone loves
- Continuing the Shop For Me curbside pickup service, which allows us to expand our accessibility
- Adding an additional 33% of retail square footage by relocating offices, prep spaces, coolers, and vents to other locations off the sales floor
- Doubling the bulk department selections
- Reorganizing the parking lot to make it more pedestrian-friendly
- Investing in our infrastructure to keep the facility safe for all
Partners on the project will include architecture firm Woodhull – formerly known as Caleb Johnson Studio, and builder Warren Construction. Both have experience designing and building retail businesses and will stage construction so that the Co-op remains open throughout the process.
General Manager Doug Johnson commented, “After years of work, the Co-op is excited to say that we’re finally at a place where we have an affordable project that will meet the current and future needs of the Co-op and our community.”
Board President Susan Cutting noted, “The Board is enthusiastically supporting this project. We see the Co-op as at the heart of our community and local economy. We are committed to ensuring the future of our community’s primary source for healthy and sustainable foods and supporting our region’s farmers and other local producers.”
Owned by you. Food for all.
Capital Campaign Updates
Capital Campaign – 4th update
In six days we DID it! We raised $101,050 in owner loans!! And that means the loans will be matched! The support we are feeling from the Co-op Community is huge, our store renovation will be starting soon! Our Store Renovation Capital Campaign is going strong! As of...